Thursday, November 02, 2006

Inspiration

Our HOS, Audette Benson, knew I was interested in using computers and e-learning in class. She told me to go and listen to Wendy Zammit, who was giving a talk at our college. I only had 5 minutes, as we were busy interviewing new students. That was enough. Wendy said the magic word, blogger, and the rest is history.

I went home, started a blog and learnt how to do links, cheat the template, etc by looking at FAQ and doing searches. I believe in making new ways of learning accessible to our NESB students. They are learning English, but they appreciate being introduced to ways of learning that may help them with further studies or in a job situation. I had been teaching students how to use Microsoft Word, emails and internet, but I thought blogging would give them a new dimension in which to use their English in a more real way. I try to connect what we are doing in class (topics, genre, etc) to our blog work. Everything is interconnected and complements each other.

I decided to only use free to air software, inspired by a talk by Leigh Blackall. I think that many students that come to us haven't got the means to acquire technology or the technical knowledge without support, especially while they are in their initial settlement stages. Concepts of empowerment, social justice, access and equity and long-life learning come to mind.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Leigh Blackall said...

I Rosa, glad to hear it.
Please check out William Lucas' blog for his ESOL classes, and drop a comment or two. He is a fella I'm helping here at Otago Polytechnic, and it would be great if you guys connected to share experiences and perspectives seeing as you both work in a similar field.
Regards
Leigh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home